August 31, 2006

Settled

Have I settled? Ye-ah mom has always encouraged me to be "a step above" (not a snobby person, just to work hard and not to settle for less than the best). So I have. I graduated college Magna cum Laude. I'm going to buy a house at 23. I have a certain level of success, but I could be so much more.

Am I a success? I want to be more than just okay. My career is going no where. I need to make a change, but I'm not brave. Its not the hard work that scares me, its actually finding a position that fits me. What if I leave and end up unhappy? Well more so than I am now It was so hard go get a job in the first place. This is not what I dreamed it to be.

Who am I, who could I be? I know I'm a leader. My friends follow me. Why? I have no idea. At work people will come to me for computer help. I may know more than the average person, but many times I'm winging it. I laugh when people tell me they see a charismatic person, because I don't feel that way. I'm still the girl who was never quite cool enough to be a cool kid.

3 comments:

Eric Wilson said...

Wow. Not at all. A bad or low paying job for a while doesn't mean you settled. I got a job as a para making like 9,000 a year. If I didn't find that I would have applied for a job at boeing completely outside my field. People ask you questions because you are a very intelligent person. A lot of people look up to you. Maybe you try to hard to be popular because you don't feel like you are, but you are. Not that, that matters though. When I was in college I spent a couple of years knowing everyone. I knew everyone in the dorms. It took me a few years, but I realized that popularity is completely unimportant (I know it isn't a real word). Anyway, you find that you really only enjoy the company of a dozen or dozen and a half or less people. Everyone else becomes like filler. What was my point? Oh yeah. If you are not to settle for anything less than the best right off then why not just not get a job until you find one that pays 600,000 and gives you a company car? :-) You will get a good job. If you don't like your job, why don't you get your resume out there and just apply to some other jobs? You can go on interviews. It doesn't mean you have to take the jobs, you can at least see what is available to you though and then you can pray and consider what you were offered. If you are just waiting to see what your company does though, then you are just waiting. It doesn't reflect poorly on you at all. I know they said not to call HR, but maybe you should try it. The worst that could happen is they tell you not to do that again. If they ask why you did it say you were entertaining other opportunities in a different field and wanted to give their corporation first option because you love that company (bite your lip as you say it). :-) You are a success though. It is amazing you are looking at houses that young. I don't know anyone else who is.

Eric Wilson

Eric Wilson said...

Besides success is not measured in nickels and dimes.

Eric Wilson

Stew said...

Eric is right on it. When it comes to building your career, just do your best and move on until you find what it is you're looking for. You've got plenty of time. I'm a shoe salesman, I love the job, I love the work, it isn't anywhere near what my professional career is, but it is a means for me to move on. When I'm ready, I'll eventually leave this job (probably move) and continue trying for my eventual goal as a composer. Best of luck to you.