February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

Because it makes a good story....

< humiliation >
I guess I never got out much. I was 16 working at a restaurant and it was "Ash Wednesday" not being Catholic, I had never even heard of the holiday other than a blip on the calendar.

People started coming into the restaurant with marks on their foreheads in the shape of a cross. Not everyone was marked, but enough couples to really make me wonder. I went to the mirror in the bathroom to make sure I didn't have one, too, but in the Left Behind books you couldn't see your own.... so I was still unsure.

My knowledge of the end times came mostly from those books, but I thought the mark to distinguish Christians came later. Tim and Jerry must have had it wrong. Later that day, when I got home, and saw my parents didn't have marks, I realized there had to be some other explanation.

That’s when I learned of Ash Wednesday.
< / humiliation >

No comments: