September 19, 2008

The Road to Lost Innocense


This past week I've been reading a book called "The Road to Lost Innocence" by Somaly Mam. Its the story of a girl who grow up in Cambodia, during an awful time. She was sold by her "grandfather" into prostitution to pay for a debt he owed. Now she helps other girls in that situation. while reading the book I was amazed by her strength. She could have left brothels and never returned, but instead she worked hard to help other girls, becuase she had true empathy. It didn't matter to Somaly if they had AIDs or if they were dirty or hurt. She loved these girls, even though she herself had not been loved very much. For each book bought a donation is made to her fund to help other girls. I am amazed that this stuff still goes on in the world today. It really has opened my eyes and made me look beyond the American Bubble in which I live.

2 comments:

Becky said...

That sounds like a really good book. I like reading things like that from time to time. I agree that we do tend to get a little too comfy in our way of life here.

Monnik said...

oooh. this looks good. I love book reviews!