April 17, 2007

VT

I usually don't comment too much on things that happen outside of my little bubble. I'm happy here. Don't think that I don't care about the outside world, because I do. Its just that sometimes it can be so depressing.

political
I have a really close friend who goes to Virgina Tech and is working on his engineering degree. He's okay. He was nice enough to message me, before I even heard of the shootings, so I didn't freak out. It made me so sad to hear of it. Had I not been at work I probably would have cried. Even though everyone I knew yesterday is still alive today, its hard not to think of the hundreds of people whose lives will never be the same.

I know this next statement probably won't be popular, so if you disagree, thats fine. Comment, and I'll respond, but be logical. I think its awful that someone was able to shoot all those students, But the people that are calling for stricter gun laws. Well, I don't understand their thinking. Someone who is going to commit a crime, does not have a respect for the law. If they want a gun, they are going to find one. Its naive of us as a nation to think that they won't find a way.

Now, if you allow others - conscientious citizens - to carry a weapon concealed, we have people to defend us. I don't think everyone should be allowed carry. There are a lot of people who are not rational enough to always be responsible. Someone who is willing to take the time to go to the classes and learn the law, is capable.

Had guns not been banned from campus a student (or a professor) who had taken the classes and was well trained could have shot back. They could have prevented the deaths of many of the people there.

I am not trying to place the blame on the administration of the campus for not allowing weapons. I do understand that they don't want things like this to happen, and by banning them, they are attempting to do just that. I just think that they fail to take into account that someone who is going to commit a crime, doesn't respect the rules, so a policy like that only prevents the responsible from being able to take action.
/ political

No comments: