So when I took my new job we were told that we would have overtime on occasion. At the end of the quarter we have a lot to do and a limited amount of time to get it done. This means that I have been here almost 11 hours today. After being here that long, I am so tired of my desk. So this is my top eight (I'm too tired for a full 10) list of positive things about working overtime. Hopefully it will prevent me from jumping out a window or something equally as crazy.
8. I will attend the monthly "here is stuff that you don't care about" quarterly meeting just long enough to snag a bagel tomorrow morning before leaving and no one will tell me I need to be there.
7. I have the entire row to myself, so people don't bother me very much. My boss affectionately refers to my desk as "Siberia".
6. I can listen to music all day. I now have time to listen to all the music I have neglected. Now I need to find some new bands or maybe a book.
5. After spending this much time in front of a computer screen surely I will need glasses. Perhaps they will make me look more intelligent. That will lead to a different job that does not require uncompensated overtime.
4. Since we are to put our initials by the things we complete, I will never forget my new ones, now that I am married.
3. I arrived early enough to trade my chair, with a newer one at a different cube. Unfortunately it is not the magic chair I hoped it was that would cure all my aches. Why is it so hard to make a comfortable work chair and desk?
2. By arriving so early and leaving so late, I completely avoid rush hours.
1. The best thing about working overtime is Matt makes dinner!